Sometimes, albeit rarely, I experience moments of perfect bliss, like this past Saturday morning when I had a quiet house to myself, dogs and birds fed and watered, the beginning of a long week-end stretching far ahead of me, a steaming cup of coffee and cream in one hand and a pearl of a new book in my other hand.

“Quiet in the cup. Hard to believe that isn’t joy, the way it flies away when I fling it out the window.”
― Jenny Offill, Weather

Times like these, I forget that I am middle-aged, two-thirds of my life gone (if I’m lucky), with responsibilities and a messy house and endless lists of things to do before I die, or at least before the end of the month. (God forbid anyone should be burdened with my unfinished business.) In the zone, I have zero ambition and no regrets.

This happy state is such that it makes me forget that we now live in a COVID world, that I haven’t had tea with my parents in over two months and that life outside the house now involves careful PPE planning.

I’m pretty sure what I was feeling at that time was gratitude, not for anything in particular, but rather for the unexpected gift of finding a lost treasure, and the luxury of being able to sit with it for a while. Call it hope if you like.

Namaste

10 thoughts on “A Moment

1. Ian Hanchet says:

I experience this daily. I am glad you found it yesterday. Living in the moment is the best!

I know you do! Thank you for reminding me to look up at the moon every now and then. ❤️

I could ‘feel’ calm here.

Good, the calm is spreading! David, I should thank you for prompting me to read Weather, on my to-read list ever since I read the exerpts on your blog. What an absolute gem of a book. 😊

Ah, you liked it! So Glad. (As I would not recommend it to my Friends!)

I loved it! Does that mean we can’t be friends? 😉

of course not!

4. Lovely! I always feel so blessed on days like you describe.

Thank you, Louise! I think we appreciate them all the more during this pandemic.