January 2nd, 2020. The public health care system I work for requires me to write it in this format: year/month/day.

I purposely did not post resolutions yesterday. Been there, done that. Besides, they don’t really work and leave us feeling less than. Life is too short.

2016-02-20: a birthday present from my sweetie.

At some point yesterday evening, I found myself eating some pretty high quality chocolate called Mozartkugeln (I refer to them as Mozart heads): “A Mozartkugel (English: Mozart ball), is a small, round sugar confection made of pistachiomarzipan and nougat that is covered with dark chocolate. It was originally known as Mozart-Bonbon, created in 1890 by Salzburg confectioner Paul Fürst (1856–1941) and named after Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Hand-made Original Salzburger Mozartkugeln are manufactured by Fürst’s descendants up to today, while similar products have been developed by numerous confectioners, often industrially produced.” They are so good, I once convinced a couple of friends I was travelling with in France, to take a train to Berne, Switzerland (where Toblerone is made, by the way), in search of Mozart heads, only to realize years later that like Mozart himself, they were actually made in Austria.

What I’m trying to say, is that for more years in my middle-aged lifetime than not, I was always on some sort of diet January 1st. How liberating it feels to be mindfully enjoying my Mozart heads at the start of a new year instead of trying to finish every sweet treat in my pantry by December 31st.

So no resolutions this year. Rather, I have three intentions: 1. to try to read 52 books again 2. to blog once a week, even if no one reads it 3. to add a couple of morning runs on my treadmill to my trice-weekly kettlebell work-outs at the club because it’s always a better day when I move my body in the morning.

Oh, and to declutter my space. An ongoing challenge. Because if I were to keel over tomorrow, all this stuff of mine would be a terrible burden on my son.

Resolutions or intentions, peeps? Or will you simply carry-on?

Whatever your strategy or non-strategy may be, I’m rooting for you.

Happy, happy!

10 thoughts on “2020-01-02

Love your resolutions Sharon…

Thanks, David! I am grateful to you as many of the books you quote from end up on my to-read list. Happy 2020.

2. Marisa says:

Looking forward to your weekly blog, the list of books that you read and recommend in 2020, and maybe even enjoying some Mozart heads together over coffee in 2020.

Sounds like a plan! I just celebrated reaching the one third mark of The Dutch House by Ann Patchett with a red Mozart head and the last sip of my latte. The only thing missing was a kindred spirit. 😊

3. I love the intention to read a book a week! I’m adding it to mine — which, like you, are not resolutions (especially the Jan 1 diet thing — tried it. didn’t take — but the others are — to find a volunteer role I love to do once a week. to finish the first draft of the novel I started before Dec 31 and to continue to work with my trainer at the gym every week to increase my endurance and strength. Thanks for the inspiration!

PS — I just sent you an email. Jenny and Anne are meeting up on Gabriola! 🙂

Louise, I’m thrilled that you are inspired to join my virtual book club. Would you believe I started book #6 today? I have to go for cataract surgery in early April so I am trying to get ahead of the game a bit. What are you currently reading? Is your novel fiction or non-fiction? A home care client of mine told me about a volunteer program at our local library that delivers books to seniors and people with mobility issues. I was thinking that might be perfect for me once I retire.

How fantastic that Jenny and Anne are meeting up. What a small interwebbing world this is! Would you believe Jenny and I have not actually met in person yet. By the way, I just checked and have not yet received your email. 🙃

4. Kiki says:

Are you Norah or Sharon?????

I am both! Norah is my husband’s name for me: Sharon spelled backwards— almost! He is dyslexic. 😊

1. Kiki says:

I like your husband. Hero Husband is dyslexic too and it creates more hassle than joy…. So, is it alright if I call you Sharon?

Please do! My husband may be dyslexic but he considers it a gift and uses it in his art: songwriting and poetry, etc.